Are you facing my printer won’t scan issue? Well, this issue emerges due to some errors in the printer or the printer drivers. If the issue is not solved soon, then you may not be able to use the scan feature on printers. Hence models are typical all-in-one printers (if you are using its new model), through these models you can print, fax, scan and even take out the duplex copy.
Printers are built with such impressive features, and will not disappoint you. But sometimes they may also fail to perform normally. Though its amazing features sometimes due to some error or any issue in the printer driver they fail to perform. Hence, the printer will not scan is one such issue, you can fix it by obeying the steps below or can contact Printer Tech Support.
How to Fix An Printer Won’t Scan Issue?
1. Check Platform Compatibility
If your printer is not scanning decently after upgrading Windows 10, make sure that it was reconcilable with the platform. To know this, you need to open printers- Windows 10 Compatible Printer page using the browsers. Now widen the model close-set on that page to ensure that if it comprises your printer model or not. If you encounter that the printer is not reconcilable with the Win 10, it means you need to replace your printer or compatible platform.
2. Reset Your Printer
Once you try turning off/on the printer, these techniques fix the scanning issue generally. It is usually called power cycling, which can reboot the scanner’s configuration framework. Turn off your printer, impair it from the power cable and then wait for 10 to 20 minutes. Now turn it on and try to scan.
3. Reinstall The Printer Software
Another method to resolve this error is by resolving the printer software. When you upgrade to Windows 10, earlier installed drivers and software oppose responding. Therefore, it is best to upgrade your printer software along with Windows 10 as well. This makes sure that you are using upgraded drivers for their models. Follow the below guide to reinstall printer software.
1. Right-click on the Start button and select Run
2. Enter “appwiz.cpl” in the Open text box and then click OK
3. Now select the printer software from below list on the Programs and Features Control Panel application program.
4. Next select Uninstall and Click Yes
5. Restart your Windows 10 PC after uninstalling the printer software
6. Now delete the printer from the printer list in Printers & Scanners
7. To do it open the Run window and enter ‘printers’
8. Now press enter and click on Printer & Scanners
9. In the Printer, window select your printer and click on Remove Device.
10. Follow the on-screen instructions
11. And open the support page
12. Click on the Printer and enter the model name and number in the search box
13. Click to Submit
14. Then a software and driver page will get open on the screen
15. Click Change to select 64 or 32-bit Windows 10 version
16. In the drop-down menu, you need to press the Change button
17. Click on Download
18. Now open the downloads folder in your computer
19. Click on the newly-downloaded printer drivers and software file and Install it
Do not interrupt while installing, or do not even turn off your computer and printer.
4. Open The Print And Scan Troubleshooter
This method will scan everything and will also identify why your Printer won’t scan. Every printer has it's Print and Scan Doctor software to fix all the issues related to the printer. Therefore, the troubleshooter can resolve so many issues either it is printer related or scanner related. Now, follow the below steps to know how you can use Print and Scan Doctor:
1. Make sure that your printer is connected to the desktop or laptop
2. Now click on the Print and Scan Doctor on the Customer Support page and download the troubleshooter
3. Click “HPPSdr.exe” and open the software’s window.
4. Click Start and select your printer that does not scan.
5. Now choose the Fix Scanning option
6. After this, the troubleshooter will tell users about the error, if identified any.
7. If it shows X icons, the user might need to follow the further guidance that the troubleshooter will prompt
5. Ensure that the Windows Image Acquisition Service is Enabled
Among all the basic services Windows Image Acquisition Service is the most useful scanning service. Thus, some users might need to enable that service to solve their printers’ scanning issue. If you want to enable the service, then go after the below steps:
1. Right-click the Start menu
2. Win + X menu will get open
3. There select Run
4. Now enter ‘services.msc’ in the box
5. Click OK
6. Next double clicks on Windows Image Acquisition to open the window in the shot directly below
7. Choose Automatic in the Startup type drop-down menu
8. Click on the Start menu
9. Next, click OK
10. Now Remote Procedure Call, DCOM, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and Shell Hardware Detection are some other windows services for scanning.
11. If you want, you can check these services as well
6. Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall
If you are trying to use the network printer, then this resolution might fix ‘the printer won’t scan issue’. The Windows Defender Firewall can hurdle the network printer ports as well as communications. Therefore, turning off the Windows Defender Firewall and other third-party firewalls, may assist your printer scanner to work simply. Follow the further steps to learn- how you can turn off Windows Defender Firewall in Windows 10.
1. Open the Cortana app
2. Next enter Firewall in the search box
3. Now select Windows Defender Firewall to open the Control Panel applet
4. Click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off. In the Customize Settings click on turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off
5. Remember that Printer and Scan Doctor also includes firewall settings
6. You can open the settings by following:
7. Click on Network
8. Next, choose Troubleshooting Firewalls on Print and Scan Doctor
9. Now click on Disable (it will disable the firewall)
10. Click OK
If you use the third-party software, even they include firewalls. Hence, disabling them for the moment may also make your scanner work. Most of the antivirus software have a disable-button with some description on their system tray context menus.
7. Reset The Printer & Scanner
In some of the printers, users will see the option that will permit to reset the default factory settings. And this might solve the scanning issue of the printer. The steps may differ in different printers, but you can simply select a Reset Factory Defaults option within the Setup or Tools menu on the printer Control Panel screen. If you do not have any idea about how to do it, you can even take the manual guide assistance.
8. Run A System File Checker Scan
Corrupted files can also be the cause for the scanning issue that your printer is facing. If it is the situation, then you are advised to run the System File Checker scan. It will aid you to check and repair corrupted files and ethical violations. You can go after the below steps to run an SFC scan in Windows 10:
1. Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu
2. Now click on Command Prompt (Admin)
3. Next, enter ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restore health’
4. Press the Return button before starting an SFC scan
5. Next enter ‘sfc /scannow’ in the Command Prompt
6. Press Enter
7. The SFC scan may take approx half an hour, after it gets completed, restart the computer
These steps will possibly resolve the Windows Resource Protection immediately.
Get Help From Experts
The above steps will easily solve your scanning problem, but if still, your printer is not out of the does not scan issue then you should contact experts on Printer Tech Support Number +1-800-903-5832.